Friday, June 3, 2011

Storms Raging

Psalm 55:8 "I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm.”


We've had some intense storms around Canada and the US lately.  Storms which batter us and destructive storms doing tremdendous and sometimes fatal damage.


Not all storms make the news but any storm can send us seeking shelter.  The past few nights I've awoken to thunder, lightning and strong winds. They buffet the house, rattle the windows and my son sleeps through it all.






Although it may be just him being a sound sleeper there is a teaching in there for me.  Part of the reason he sleeps so well is he knows he is safe.  He trusts me and knows I will keep him safe.  He knows with faith that God watches over us and he trusts our shelter, our home.


Luke 8:24  "The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm."


He trusts and therefore rests in his faith.  He can sleep soundly knowing he is cared for.  He doesn't imagine things like broken windows, downed trees and damage.  He doesn't notice the power going out or the ticking of nervous dog feet as they seek me as well.


The animals trust me too.  They either come in the house or come close to the house.  Their source of food and protection resides there.


Could God be any more clear about MY need for faith?  I don't think so! (you can smile here, I am!)


I need to trust Him.  I need to pray when I'm afraid.  I need to rest in His shelter.  I need to be able to sleep peacefully knowing He is ultimately in charge.  They are His winds and His storms and His elements! 


Psalm 135:7  "He makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth; he sends lightning with the rain and brings out the wind from his storehouses."


The storms are controlled by God and no matter what He is in control.  He uses them, the real life storms and the storms in our lives of emotion, spirit, life and relationships for His good.  His grace brings us through.  He doesn't want us to panic and freeze up.  He wants us to turn to Him and trust Him!


We try to be prepared for storms.  We know what to do, where to go and have our emergency supplies in the shelter.  


How prepared are we for the storms of life?  Do we have faith in Him enough to trust Him and pray?  When we panic, when we freeze up, when we lose control we cannot pray.  We cannot trust.  We are lost.


So this morning, while the lives around me trusted I too trusted.  I prayed and praised God.  I tried to see the beauty in the storm and not be caught in the fear.  


How do you prepare for the storms that come into your life?

2 comments: