Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Untangling Meekness

The meek shall inherit the earth. Matthew 5:5


But the meet will inherit the land and enjoy great peace. Psalm 37:11


humble in spirit or manner; suggesting retiring mildness or even cowed submissiveness - according to a Google search


Okay...this is one place I struggle mightly!  I am not generally a submissive, cowed or often mild.  I'm wild, passionate and I work really hard to find balance.  Balance is something God and I work on together - lots!


Being thought of as meek has been a less than positive thing in my type A world.  Meek people are losers, they are the ones who get walked on and end up being used.  They are not the take charge type.


This is what I was taught and I have to say I was taught wrong!  When I read in my NIV Study Bible the Biblical meaning for meek I was stunned!  I literally sat back and thought, "Oh Lord! If that is MEEK then please may I be MEEK!?"






"Meek - those who humbly acknowledge their dependence on the goodness and grace of God and betray no arrogance toward their fellow men."  Oh and the reminder that "great peace" can also mean "unmixed blessedness".  Unmixed. Pure. Direct from God blessedness!


How often have you said, or heard, it was a mixed blessing.  Or that someone had to really look for the blessing in the mess.  I've said it.  I used to say it.  Now I understand what great peace can mean.  Now I can understand meekness better.  


I can be meek and it doesn't mean weak.  Nor does it mean easily taken advantage of or even loser.  


It means knowing, acknowledging, where the source of all I am and all I have is.  That source is not me!  That source is God!


I depend upon God for the breath I breathe.
I depend upon God for the goodness I'm blessed with.
I depend upon God to fulfill my function for Him just like a spout depends upon the water, direct from The Source!


How does meek feel?  It doesn't feel weak and it doesn't feel poorly.  It feels abundant.


Whenever I feel arrogant (and trust me I can!) I try to remember what meek really means to God.  


God doesn't want my pride and He doesn't want my arrogance.  No more than he wants me to be cowed or submissive to the world.  He doesn't want my false humbleness or my vain mildness.  He wants it to be genuine, and He knows when it is from me.  He knows when it is from Him.


I am a muddy, shallow puddle.  God is a pure, deep spring.
Unless it comes to be from God then it will be from me.


I've struggled this past couple of months, outside my comfort zone, and this pair of verses along with the wonderful teaching of Biblical meekness has brought me another lesson, in being truly humble in acknowledging the Source of all goodness in my life.  It isn't my work, or my words.  It is God's and His alone.


Thank you, Lord, for the blessings in Your Word.
Thank you, Lord, for the blessings in our lives that come from You.
Help us remember, O Lord, when we are busy and stressed.
Help us slow down, O Lord, and refresh and refuel at you, our Source,
so that we may continue to do Your work and honour You.
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment